[ubuntu-uk] Moan -- Top Posting (was "Apps for kids")

Joe O'Dell joseph.odell at googlemail.com
Sat Aug 7 08:14:08 BST 2010

> Has anybody ever told you that it's worse to top post and (by saying
> "sorry" IN THE SAME POST reveal that you are aware that people will be
> upset (yet you do it!)) than to simply be unaware (as many people are)
> of how irritating top posting can be.

Whoa, Whoa, Whoa, WHOA!

Ease Up - I know some people stick to the mailing list etiquette, but sometimes it's not always possible. I try to where I can, but I don't expect to get a mouthful if I don't have time to etc.

Personally, I don't always see the direct need to post underneath quoted text, as it's not always relevant, and can also be a hinderance when reading the email, but I follow most of it anyway.

And who is going to get upset? I don't think there is a normal reason to cry over a mailing list, even if it was for a mistake.

> Meanwhile, the folks on "daily digest" are going to be *so* thrilled
> to keep being confused and are going to be *so* grateful to you (not)
> that you've "apologised" (though repeated "P.S. Sorry"s do tend to
> sound a bit like a piss take, to be honest so they may not see it as
> that).

Yes, I can understand that it's not in line with how you *should* post on mailing lists, but just a kind reminded privately via email would have sufficed.

Peace out.

Joe O'Dell

GreenerClassrooms Project Co-Ordinator
http://www.greenerclassrooms.org.uk

Fedora Ambassador & Contributor (FreeMedia)
http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/User:Ascenseur

bedsLUG Co-Ordinator
beds.lug.org.uk

DFEY Member (SouthEast)