[ubuntu-uk] Using Rsync to a remote computer

azmodie azmodie at gmail.com
Wed Aug 4 15:31:57 BST 2010

On 4 August 2010 14:23, ByteSoup <bytesoup at gmail.com> wrote:

> On 04/08/10 12:28, Colin Law wrote:
> > On 4 August 2010 12:23, Gordon Burgess-Parker<gordon at gbpcomputing.co.uk>
>  wrote:
> >
> >> Is it possible to use rsync to a folder on a remote computer?
> >>
> > Yes
> >

> >> If so what's the syntax?
> >>
> > user at server:folder/folder/..
> >

> Assuming the remote machine is running linux, then you should also be
> able to use the -a option (which incorporates a few common used
> options). If your remote machine is a windows box, im not sure it will
> work.
>
> Slightly off topic but might be useful to you, I had a external HDD, it
> came formatted with the FAT filesystem, however I had murders getting
> all files to rsync from my Ubuntu machine, it didnt like preserving
> user, groups and soft links etc. I reformatted the drive to ext4 and it
> worked a charm.
>
> -Mark

i had similar issues with fat filesystems on target.

from : http://sial.org/howto/rsync/

"Normally, the -a option can be used to perfectly mirror the files. However,
if the target filesystem does not support permissions, a different set of
options should be used to avoid warnings from rsync. To synchronize data to
a USB drive with a FAT filesystem, I use the -rlt options. "

man rsync

-r, --recursive             recurse into directories
-l, --links                 copy symlinks as symlinks
-t, --times                 preserve modification times

azmodie