[ubuntu-uk] Network Manager

alan c aeclist at candt.waitrose.com
Tue Aug 3 20:35:53 BST 2010

On 03/08/10 12:39, gazz wrote:

> The network manager from 9.04 onwards drives me up the wall! I'm now
> using Lucid and I needed to install a wireless access point, the network
> manager wouldn't let me connect to its interface so I had to remove the
> network manager and put wicd on instead. OK, now I could set up the
> wireless access point, all well and good.
>
> It seems that the sync for Ubuntu One and Dropbox need the network
> manager as both are acting crazy this morning. UbuntuOne can't connect
> at all and Dropbox is partially syncing. Anyway wicd can't seem to
> connect to the wifi at my workshop either.
>
> Tried to remove wicd - no luck with apt-get. Had to purge it and
> reinstall network-manager with aptitude. Then the nm-applet indicator
> was missing from the tray and no way to interact with the network
> manager short of cli. Did killall nm-applet and then started it again -
> now it's hanging complaining:
>      ** (nm-applet:1998: DEBUG: old state indicates that this was not a
> disconnect 0
>
> When I restart networking, it's using DHCP Client to reconnect.
>
> I can find other people with similar issue but no-one seems to know
> what's going on. The only person who seems to have solved it reinstalled
> 10.04 from scratch!
>
> So whenever I want to configure a router, I'll have to reinstall
> 10.04???? There has to be an easier fix? I frequently need to install
> routers . . .

I just today set up a wireless accees point (wap).
The default IP of the wap was 192.168.0.50, and to connect to its web
interface I believe I needed to use a PC in the same subnet
(192.168.0.xx)

To achieve this, with a wired connection, I set my PC away from dhcp
to a fixed (manual) IP.

I chose an IP of
192.168.0.55
mask 255.255.255.0
gateway 192.168.0.50
and saved the settings, and it worked ok. Oh I had to restart the PC
for the fixed IP to take effect. There may be a quicker way, not sure.

hth

It souds easy of course, but it took a l-o-o-o-n-g time for me to
figure it all out!

--
alan cocks
Ubuntu user