[ubuntu-uk] 64 bit lucid install

Markie mark.curtis.1970 at googlemail.com
Mon Apr 26 15:08:39 BST 2010

Hi Ian

> With the upcoming release of 10.04, I have decided to reinstall my work
> machine and move from 32 to 64 bit. I need to run multiple virtual
> machines

Im going to be doing exactly the same thing, I wasnt sure about 64 bit since
I only have 2GB but it seems to make better sense

> I use the usual applications (Firefox, Chrome, Thunderbird OpenOffice
> etc.) and I also need Mysql/Apache/PHP, and I normally use Netbeans as
> my IDE. I was intending to use Virtualbox to host the VMs.

Im using virtualbox for a XP image occasionally, I wonder if a image created
under a 32bit virtual box will be portable to a 64bit virtual box?

> I have looked on the Ubuntu wiki and forum for any advice or things to
> watch out for, but I was wondering if anyone had
> recommendations/comments before I make the move.  I will be installing
> it in an additional partition, so I will still be able to boot into my
> 32 bit installation (9.04) as a fall back

I will be installing onto a physically separate HDD connected via a USB
caddy for a couple of weeks just to make sure nothing goes wrong, then i'll
go for it. I suppose a partition means that you dont have to lug around a
seperate drive if you travel a lot. Make sure any VPN applications work ok.
You can backup and re-instate your previous apps via command line;

To backup

 Code:

sudo dpkg –get-selections > myPackages

To re-instate

 Code:

sudo dpkg –set-selections < myPackages && sudo apt-get dselect-upgrade

You can also do it through synaptic

One word of warning if you do install to a external drive it is possible to
screw up grub on your main drive, I did it, dont know how, but managed to
stumble through the recovery. Next time I will slide out the internal hard
drive and do the install with the USB drive then just to be absolutely sure.

Mark