[ubuntu-uk] Checking to make sure you are safe...port checking etc.

John Matthews jakewc2 at sky.com
Fri Apr 23 12:44:10 BST 2010

On 23/04/10 11:51, Alan Pope wrote:
> On 23 April 2010 11:47, John Matthews<jakewc2 at sky.com>  wrote:
>
>> Even though we get told most of the time Linux is safe, the more tis
>> used, the more viruses will get written for it. I noticed somebody was
>> talking about checking ports to see if they are visible to the outside.
>> How do you do that? Is there any software, or can it be done via the
>> Terminal. Can somebody help?
>>

> nmap can do this.
>
> http://nmap.org/bennieston-tutorial/
>
> Cheers,
> Al.

Thanks everybody, I appreciate the help. I will try see if I can
understand it now.

@Alan Lord......that is very clever I'm impressed....also very
patronising....and you wonder why it is I react the way I do on here and
IRC ubuntu-uk. I want to say more. If I understood how it worked, I
wouldnt have needed to ask. The way I see it, you didnt have to talk,
just do what Alan Pope did, just give some urls, that didnt hurt. Or
better still, say nothing. Because it didnt help, apart from the wind me
up even more.

If it means anything, I did a google search, prior to e-mailing, and
couldnt work out if they were talking about Linux or Windows, or what
they would work on. In that search it didnt seem to mention Linux at
all, so I dont know if it will work on Linux or not, hence the question.

@Alan Lord....In that search you just performed for me, it mentions
nothing about Linux, so how do I know if it will work.

John

--
Ubuntu User #30817