[ubuntu-uk] Hard drive- Bad sectors

Martin Topping mtop6867 at googlemail.com
Sat Apr 17 12:03:02 BST 2010

On Fri, 2010-04-16 at 15:36 +0100, Thomas Ibbotson wrote:

> Does anyone know how SSDs compare in terms of lifetime? I know
> theoretically they have a shorter lifetime than conventional hard
> drives, but in practice?

Stuff like this - http://www.storagesearch.com/ssdmyths-endurance.html -
has lead me to believe that the lifespan problem used to be a valid
cause for concern, but improvements in hardware construction and
wear-levelling techniques have improved the issue to such an extent that
it is now a non-issue.  I certainly don't lie awake at night worrying
that the SSD in my netbook is going to conk out any time soon.