[ubuntu-uk] Hard drive- Bad sectors

John Stevenson john at jr0cket.com
Fri Apr 16 12:20:00 BST 2010

On 16 April 2010 11:44, Adam Bagnall <bagnaj97 at googlemail.com> wrote:

> On Fri, Apr 16, 2010 at 11:23 AM, javadayaz <javadayaz at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> i dont think he has another machine. He is using ubuntu one on his
>> netbook....
>>
>> but i will forward this option to him as well.

>>> If he (or you) have another machine, it could be removed and put in that
>>> either directly or with a USB hard drive adapter to see if it will mount on
>>> another machine - there's always the possibility that the drive controller
>>> has failed rather than the drive. If that works, you could make an image of
>>> the disk using dd or other disk imaging tools.
>>>
>>> s/
>>>

>>> --
>> ubuntu-uk at lists.ubuntu.com
>> https://wiki.ubuntu.com/UKTeam/
>>

> As a true last resort you can try putting the drive in a sealed bag (to
> prevent condensation) and then in the freezer for a few hours. A quick
> google shows there are many reports of this working, although I've never
> tried it and hope I never have to...
>
> Regards,
>     Adam.

If its a netbook then its probably easier to put the whole machine in the
fridge.  I am dubious about putting something in the freeze though.

It was interesting that all my drive failures have happed during the summer
months, so temperature does play a part.

If you do get it to boot, then have somewhere to back up on hand as you will
need get everything copied as quickly as possible before the drive warms up
and starts failing again.

Good luck
--
John Stevenson