[ubuntu-uk] Firefox wont open up since yesterdays nightly update

Markie mark.curtis.1970 at googlemail.com
Thu Apr 15 16:57:40 BST 2010

If you didnt setup a proxy then chances are your connected direct.

For the system proxy go to the main menu (ALT+F1) and then System -->
preferences --> Network proxy. I use it quite a lot as I run ubuntu on my
work machine and when im vpn-ed in i need to set the proxy to allow things
like the package updater to get internet access. When applications use
"system proxy settings" this is where it refers to.

For firefox go to "Edit" menu --> preferences --> advanced --> network and
click the "Settings" button.

Again, chances are this isnt an issue. I would recommend you post up a
question on the ubuntu forums for this if you havent already;

http://ubuntuforums.org/index.php

I have a feeling its likely a broken package on your system that didnt
install correctly.

As regarding the firewall I wouldnt worry too much about that. There is a
firewall included by default in Ubuntu "ufw" is the command "ufw --help"
will give you a list of commands. By default no ports are open on ubuntu as
installed.

Sorry I cant be of any more assistance really, but im sure you'll get to the
bottom of it on the forums. Dont give up!

Mark