[ubuntu-uk] Audio Conversion: WAV to WMA

Alan Pope alan at popey.com
Wed Apr 14 13:17:33 BST 2010

On 14 April 2010 12:39, Nigel Verity <nigelverity at hotmail.com> wrote:
> I'm a bit of an audiophile, and have a large collection of music stored in
> WAV format to preserve the sound quality. Clearly it's not possible to copy
> many of these huge files to a portable player, so they need to be
> compressed.

FLAC is your friend.

alan at wopr:~/Music/Jesus Jones/Doubt$ ls -hl 3*
-rw-r--r-- 1 alan alan 23M 2010-04-04 20:33 3 - International Bright
Young Thing.flac
-rw-r--r-- 1 alan alan 33M 2010-04-04 20:33 3 - International Bright
Young Thing.wav

Not a massive difference, 23M FLAC vs 33M WAV, but it helps, and is
lossless. I use Rockbox on my media player, which plays FLAC just
fine.

Cheers,
Al.