[ubuntu-uk] DEB again

paula at fossbox.org.uk paula at fossbox.org.uk
Mon Apr 12 13:10:34 BST 2010

Yes, I know - I shouldn't rant either cos I'm an NGO and not supposed to
be political ;)

Maybe the answer for an org like Canonical (who'd be noticed!) is to be
extremely careful picking issues and to ensure that the issue is the
legitimacy of Ubuntu/FOSS - it could be useful to focus on the software
industry attempting to classify FOSS as a breach of proper maintenance
of copyright law (as discussed here recently). That's factually
erroneous, a blatant attempt to disadvantage a legitimate competitor,
and thus an equally legit ('non-political') target? At the very least, I
think it'd be useful if it's clear that there isn't agreement across the
board within the software industry on this point. Canonical isn't the
only software company with an interest in OS either?

I think it's fine for Canonical to be lobbying for the interests of FOSS
- transparently - and thus set a responsible example? I think there
could well be some associated corporate responsibility issues in there
which could positively enhance Canonical's profile? Taking a stand for
openness both in terms of software licensing but also in trying to
ensure a level playing field within the software industry would be
totally appropriate?

Paula

/ www.fossbox.org.uk
paula at fossbox.org.uk