[ubuntu-uk] Dell Inspiron Mini 10v

Liam Proven lproven at gmail.com
Sat Apr 10 17:49:37 BST 2010

On Sat, Apr 10, 2010 at 5:32 PM, Bruno Girin <brunogirin at gmail.com> wrote:

> You're right, installing it afresh with a "copy of its original OS or
> something not too much newer" will always make it work better. What is
> interesting about installing Xubuntu on it though is that we're talking
> about the very latest version of the OS, with modern apps, up to date
> security patches and great support online.
>
> So not only is the machine working, in the sense that you can use it,
> but it does so to a level where it can integrate into a modern IT
> infrastructure,  exchange data with much newer systems and benefit from
> a level of support that is on a par with a brand new box. This would not
> have been very important 10 years ago but in today's world where
> everybody is connected to the net and exchange lolcats with their
> friends via facebook, it can make quite a difference.

True. And whereas (say) Windows 2000 actually is still highly usable,
supporting PCI-E graphics, USB2, stuff like that, it gets very few
security updates, which are mostly for the wretched IE6 - it can't run
anything newer. Firefox 3.6 works fine but Chrome and Safari don't,
nor do current versions of QuickTime, iTunes & various other
proprietary tools.

So, yes, conceded, it's better off with *buntu. But the "miraculous
resurrection" isn't due solely to *buntu!

I am interested: do people really find Xubuntu much lighter, faster or
more resource-frugal than vanilla GNOME Ubuntu? In my experiments, I
don't, & GNOME offers novice-friendly features like the ability to
lock panel widgets & controls into place, progress bars on file
operations and stuff like that.

When - if - it is ever final, I plan to look at Lubuntu and see how it
fares. It's not there yet, though.

U-Lite is a good option, though.

Email: lproven at cix.co.uk • GMail/GoogleTalk/Orkut: lproven at gmail.com
MSN: lproven at hotmail.com • ICQ: 73187508