[ubuntu-uk] Dell Inspiron Mini 10v

Bruno Girin brunogirin at gmail.com
Sat Apr 10 14:21:43 BST 2010

On Sat, 2010-04-10 at 12:36 +0100, Barry Drake wrote:
> Hi there .....
>
> I've been lurking and listening for a while.  You seem a friendly group,
> so I thought I'd leap in.
>
> A couple of weeks ago I bought a Dell Inspiron Mini 10v pre-loaded with
> Ubuntu.  Now I've got it working as I want I have to say I'm over the
> moon with the product.  But I fail to understand the attitude of Dell.
> They seem to act as though the only sell Linux products grudgingly.
> Before I bought, I wanted to know what flavour of Ubuntu I would get.
> With difficulty, the sales team were able to confirm that it would come
> with Hardy 8.04.  'What flavour' was a question they simply didn't
> understand!

Well, I suppose that they consider it a niche product and haven't
trained their staff in answering questions related to it.

> It came with a very heavily customised version of 8.04.  Frankly, I
> didn't like it a lot, and am now running Lucid beta (Netbook edition)
> and the whole thing is fantastic!

How heavily customised? Does it come with non-standard software and
drivers or is it just a case of having it heavily Dell branded?

> Also, the Mini 10v only has 8 Gig of hard drive.  Why, Oh why do Dell
> insist on including a 1.4 Gig recovery partition?  I didn't spend long
> looking, but never found a way of booting into it!  And the manual only
> tells how to use it from Windows!!!
>
> The supplied restore DVD gives no configuration options at all.  If you
> run it, it re-partitions the HD just as factory supplied.

That's what they'd do with Windows so I suspect they never imagined that
Linux users may want anything else.

> As you can imagine, my system now uses the whole drive.
>
> Complaints on the Dell forums are always about the amazingly slow speed
> of the Mini V10.  Mine runs at least as fast as my fairly up to date
> Windows XP PC.  The complaints usually come from Windows 7 users.
>
> Dell have a great little Netbook here.  Why must they spoil it?
>
> Oh, the other thing is I wanted a fallback.  I have a nice little Puppy
> Linux installed on a 250 Meg card, and I've added partimage to it.  It
> really is a lovely way of getting back to a stable installation if any
> of the regular upgrades goes sour on me.
>
> On a completely different point, someone here mentioned an exhibition
> where there were some OU folk competing an old Windows machine against
> Ubuntu ....   A short while back, someone gave me two Pentium iii PC's
> built for Windows 98.  I was going to strip them down, but just for fun,
> I tried U-Lite on them.  They turned out to be VERY serviceable, and
> better than they ever were on Win 98.  It just goes to show .....

I just installed Xubuntu Lucid beta 2 on an old Pentium III (700MHz,
384MB RAM, 8.8GB HDD) and it absolutely flies. Windows 2000 that was
running (or rather crawling) on it until last night would take 1/2 hour
to boot and would be very painful to use. Xubuntu takes 1 minute and 30
seconds to go from "on" to fully logged in with Wi-Fi connected and
makes it a very usable machine: great for web browsing, listening to
music or using the occasional spreadsheet.

Bruno