[ubuntu-uk] The tablet everyone is talking about..

Daniel Case danielcase10 at googlemail.com
Thu Apr 8 13:48:36 BST 2010

Alright :)

I'l put it here and on the etherpad, i mainly followed this guild:
http://magician.gforums.de/wiki/index.php5?title=UNE_Installation
but a lot of it is wrong, and one of its packages is packaged badly, so iv
repackaged them both and attatched:

1: plug your **USB stick into another linux machine, format it so that you
have an ms-dos partition table, 100MB fat16 partition, and an ext3
partition, this can be done in a program like gparted.

*Its important that you do this outside of the installer as otherwise, it
will fail.*

** I used a 4GB stick, and i have heard that it fails on much larger sticks
(16GB) a way to maybe resolve this would be to make the ext3 partition below
4GB, but i havent tested as i do not have a larger memory stick on me

2: write the Ubuntu Netbook Remix (here:
http://www.ubuntu.com/GetUbuntu/download-netbook) to a disk (it failed when
i tried to do it through a VM) and boot from it, once you are at the boot
menu, select "Install Ubuntu Netbook Remix" (2nd option)

3: Once it has loaded the installer, insert the USB stick you partitioned
earlier and choose your settings as normal until you get to the partitioning
page. Make sure you click "Specify Partitions Manually"

4: Click on the ext3 partition on the USB drive, and make sure it is used as
/, but do not format it, then ensure that if you are installing on a
computer with linux already on it that it is not using the original swap
space, in order to stop it you just need to select the swap partition, and
set it to "Do Not Use"

4: Click next, it should give you a warning about not using the FAT16
partition, and a warning about the swap space, you can safely disregard both
of these.

5: Now that the partitioning is done, keep clicking next until you get to
the final screen (where it says install and gives you a rundown) look
through the settings and ensure nothing is being formatted, then click
"Advance" and untick the "Install bootloader" box.

6: Click install, and go get some coffee because its going to take a while
(mine took just under 2 hours, reminds me of the good ol' windows 98
installation days)

7: Download the following two files:
http://www.newforumnetwork.com/files/joggler_partition1_fat16.tar.bz2
http://www.newforumnetwork.com/files/joggler_partition2_ext3.tar.gz

8: Put the USB stick into your linux machine (dont boot from it yet) and
extract each archive into the correct partition, make sure they dont go into
a folder, when you extract the second archive it will ask about overwriting,
just select yes to all.

9: Go into the second partition on the USB stick and find: /etc/fstab
Once you have found it, comment everything out apart from your ext3
partition, and the /proc line.

10: Insert the USB stick into a USB hub with a keyboard and boot up, give it
a minute or two and you should see some terminal
code with an error, this is because the Joggler doesn't save the time, so it
thinks its somewhere in 1980, simple fix, drop down
to the maintinance shell using ctrl+D and run fsck, then reboot using
"shutdown -r now"

And thats it, your 10-step guide to booting UNR :D