[ubuntu-uk] Banking Code section 12.9 - Open Letter to Banking Code Standards Board

Andy Smith andy at strugglers.net
Thu Sep 17 03:43:54 BST 2009

Hello Alan,

On Wed, Sep 16, 2009 at 07:46:07PM +0100, alan c wrote:
> I note that the Banking code section 12.9 advises users to 'Keep your
> PC secure'.
> http://www.bankingcode.org.uk/pdfdocs/PERSONAL_CODE_2008.PDF
>
> This is something I fully support.
>
> However the Code goes on to give specific advice about how this should
> be achieved:
> 'Use up-to-date anti-virus and spyware software and a personal firewall'.

[...]

> Please inform me of the recommended software for non Windows systems
> for functions of anti virus and anti spyware functions?

It doesn't make specific recommendations for Windows systems.
Should the age come where Linux desktops are in the majority, they
will also require anti-virus and spyware software.

They are just trying to help as many people as possible without
getting bogged down in technical details.  It's a one line
suggestion.  Do you really expect a banking leaflet to go into the
pros and cons of secure computing?

Cheers,
Andy

You dont have to be illiterate to use the Internet, but it help's.
 -- Mike Bristow