[ubuntu-uk] Disk Full (or nearly full) alert

Alan Pope alan at popey.com
Tue Sep 29 16:59:56 BST 2009

2009/9/29 Chris Weaver <chris at resonancefm.com>:
> Does anyone have a system or app in place where they get the Windows style
> "disk is nearly full" alerts? I realise it's an old bug/idea
> http://brainstorm.ubuntu.com/idea/17590/ but there doesn't (to my limited
> knowledge) seem to be a viable solution.

The latest version of Ubuntu (9.10) which is in development and due
out at the end of next month already has this. I have had popup alerts
to tell me that my built in and usb disks/sticks are getting full.
Quite handy :)

One revealed a bug in the printing system which causes many GB of logs
to be written to /var/log. So very useful.

> It easy enough to manually check the disks with du but we have many here at
> the studio.

Another option for remote monitoring is something like gkrellm. I used
to use this although many now prefer tools like conky. With gkrellm
you run gkrellmd on each machine you want to monitor and gkrellm (gui
app) on the central machine. It can connect to the remote machines and
alert you of all kinds of things - disk space included.

Cheers,
Al.