[ubuntu-uk] windows 7 features comparison

Vinothan Shankar neversaymonkey at googlemail.com
Sat Sep 19 15:12:19 BST 2009

Paul Sutton wrote:
> Hi
>
> the following wiki pedia page
>
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Windows_7_editions
>
> there is a comparison of windows 7 versions, just wondered if anyone
> could imagine there was a column for ubuntu which features (or equilvent
> ) would be ticked,  for example,  ubuntu would have compiz for aero sort
> of thing,
>
> i guess multilingual is covered in ubuntu anyway,  but just to make
> rough comparison.
>
> This is not about bashing microsoft,  i want to try and make a fair
> comparison based on those features, to help our argument for open source
> / ubuntu
>
> Paul

Apologies for the not-quite-complete list.
Right, let's see (below is just for Ubuntu):
32- and 64-bit versions: both
Maximum physical memory (64-bit mode): Approx 64TiB
Maximum CPU chips: probably 64 (standard in Linux kernel, I believe)
Home Group (create and join): Must be a windows concept - I don't know
	what the equivalent would be.
Backup and restore center: Equivalent not installed by default but
	available
Multiple monitors: Yes (hardware dependent)
Fast user switching: yes
Desktop Window Manager: Compiz (hardware dependent) or Metacity
Windows Mobility Center: no equivalent centraliser.
Windows Aero: Compiz (+emerald, maybe)
Multi-touch: unknown (anyone?)
Premium Games Included: N/A (no premium games!)
Windows Media Center: Not immediately after install but MythTV in repos.
Windows Media Player Remote Media Experience:  ...say wha?
Encrypting File System: If you use the alternate CD, with encrypted LVM
Location Aware Printing: Not AFAIK
Remote Desktop Host: not as standard; in repos (for RDP as it's what the
	system we're comparing to uses)
Presentation Mode: No?
Windows Server Domain Joining: Yes
Windows XP Mode: No - though VM's are possible
Aero glass remoting: I don't know what's meant by this!
AppLocker: no
BitLocker: Encrypted LVM again
BranchCache: no (AFAIK)
Subsystem for UNIX-Based Applications: N/A - _IS_ a *nix system
Multilingual User Interface: yes
Virtual Hard Disk booting: I believe so.