[ubuntu-uk] Organising, searching and emailing

Dianne Reuby pramclub at yahoo.co.uk
Thu Sep 17 21:03:00 BST 2009

Our Volunteer Co-ordinator has returned to Uni, so I'm lumbered again.
Except now we have quite a few volunteers to deal with. I want to be
able to:

* keep their contact details, availability, and skills list
* search the list for availability and skills
* email those who meet the search requirements (I plan to do mass emails
of general news for all volunteers through the website, so I only want
to email certain volunteers when necessary)

I've been looking at options, but my main problem is that if I get lucky
and find another sucker :) to take it over, they'll probably be using
Windows so I need something that lets me export the data from Ubuntu if
necessary.

A spreadsheet would let me keep a list, as I've heard that OO Base
doesn't export well to Access, and I'm not very good with Base anyway.

I could use Evolution contacts and categories, but would this export to
anything?

And would this mean a lot of fiddling about pasting from the spreadsheet
to Evolution, which is where mistakes would happen.

Or should I just use the website? (I'm using Joomla! to create a
replacement website.) Though I haven't found an extension that exactly
fits the bill, I've found one that seems to be near enough.

Any suggestions? TIA,

Dianne