[ubuntu-uk] Having problems with making Firefox 3.5 default

John Matthews jakewc2 at sky.com
Wed Sep 16 12:04:06 BST 2009

Matthew Daubney wrote:
> On Wed, 2009-09-16 at 11:18 +0100, John Matthews wrote:
>
>> Daniel Drummond wrote:

>>> Looks like you've deleted the symlink for firefox-3.0 now.

>>> The name of the program isn't related to the name in the titlebar, this
>>> is set by the programmer.  Shiretoko is the codename for the firefox 3.5
>>> release.
>>>
>>> What was the actual error message when you tried those commands?  Did
>>> you run them with sudo?
>>>
>>> I have double checked those commands, and none of them should fail.  You
>>> may need to put your password in when it asks.
>>>
>>> Ensure you are running them in the correct directory.
>>>
>>> Dan
>>>

>> This is really odd, I tried to open firefox in a terminal by using this
>> command firefox %s and it says its not installed, and gives me a command
>> to install it.
>>

> Hi john,
>
> Open a terminal, type
>
> cd /usr/bin
>
> Then type
>
> sudo ln -s firefox3.5 firefox-3.0
>
> That should set 3.5 to the default.
>
> -Matt Daubney

Hi both, thank you for your suggestions.

@Matt....I just entered those commands, and it seems it has made 3.5 the
default, but I still cant get links to work when I click them in an
e-mail. Nothing happens.

@Jonathon....I have that command in Custom field in Prefered
Applications, but nothing is happening.

How can I get the Firefox back to the prefered applications.

John.