[ubuntu-uk] Having problems with making Firefox 3.5 default

Jonathon Fernyhough j.fernyhough at gmail.com
Wed Sep 16 11:34:15 BST 2009

2009/9/16 John Matthews <jakewc2 at sky.com>:
> Jonathon Fernyhough wrote:
>> 2009/9/16 John Matthews <jakewc2 at sky.com>:
>>
>>> I want to make my Firefox 3.5 my default browser. I have looked in the
>>> System>Preferences>Prefered Applications and it only shows the older
>>> version of Firefox.
>>>
>>> I unticked the make Firefox Default button in the old version, and then
>>> opened the new version and ticked the box, but nothing has happened. I
>>> closed FF down, and then reopened it, and its still not opening FF 3.5
>>> when clicking on links in e-mails, it opens the old version.
>>>
>>> How can I make FF 3.5 my default.
>>>
>>> Thanks
>>>
>>> John.
>>>

>> Two suggestions would be to either remove firefox3 or to use the
>> custom option in Preferred Applications to specify firefox3.5.
>>
>> (Are there any other xdg-defaults settings?)
>>

> Hi, but that is the problem, in my first post I did mention that FF3.5
> is not an option in Preferred Applications, only the old version. The
> only browsers that it offers is the old version of FF, Opera and Chromium.

I might not have made my suggestion clear, sorry.

When you choose Custom you type in the command you want to run. As
Firefox 3.5 (Shiretoko) is /usr/bin/firefox-3.5 you can enter the
command

firefox-3.5 %s

into the Custom box (the %s might be a %u, I'm on a Windows machine
atm). This will then run Firefox 3.5 instead of the default Firefox 3.
I do this for running a local (/home/j/bin/firefox) vanilla copy of
Minefield (3.7a1pre).