[ubuntu-uk] laptops and broadband dongles

Rob Beard rob at esdelle.co.uk
Fri Sep 4 09:06:01 BST 2009

Matt Jones wrote:
> If he is only going to use it a small amount, then Vodafone offer the
> best deal, top up £15 for 1GB. Then use it until it runs out. With
> everyone else, your 1GB of data only lasts 30days, even if you haven't
> used it all.
>
> Most of the dongles are plug and play, I'm not sure about the
> Vodaphone one though, as the field has developed so quickly, then the
> drivers aren't in Ubuntu yet for the most modern ones.
>
> Do you have a link to the laptop?
>
> Matt.

I can confirm the Vodafone modem is supported.  Once it's configured
(which is just a case of following a wizard and selecting the provider
in the case of the Vodafone Pay As You Go modem you'd select "Vodafone
Topup and Go") then all you do is simply plug the modem in wait about 10
seconds, click the network manager icon in the task bar and select the
Vodafone connection.

I can't remember if the Vodafone modems have a money back guarantee or
not, if not it's worth at least checking the coverage maps on Vodafone's
web site to make sure you are in an area which is covered at least by 3G
(ideally HSDPA).

Rob