[ubuntu-uk] USB Wireless G3 Dongle

Ronnie Tucker ronnie at ronnietucker.co.uk
Wed Sep 2 18:34:26 BST 2009

Jonathon Fernyhough wrote:
> 2009/9/2 Alan Lord (News) <alanslists at gmail.com>:
>
>> On 02/09/09 12:30, huet bartels wrote:
>>
>>> Dear all,
>>>
>>> Has anyone got experience in using a mobile G3 Dongle with Ubuntu.
>>> Vodafone or 3 Network some other provider.
>>>
>>> If so could you recommend the best one to purchase.
>>>
>>> Thank you in advance
>>>
>>> Huet Bartels
>>>

>> I use an Option ICON 225 dongle on the Orange network.
>>
>> Works fine in Jaunty and (mostly) Karmic.
>>
>> We did a lot of work on 3G last year for CarPhone Warehouse and Elonex.
>> Most common dongles work with little or no trouble on Linux with recent
>> kernels.
>>
>> Hauwei were a bit of a PITA as they would release a new model but keep
>> the same USB id. Doh.
>>
>> Alan
>>

>> --
>> ubuntu-uk at lists.ubuntu.com
>>

> DO NOT go for a ZTE modem (e.g. the ZTE 627 that 3 do). They don't
> work out-of-the box with Ubuntu and are a royal pain (though
> apparently the included software works, though that's a third-party
> app and driver which don't work on 64-bit). The situation will improve
> but at the moment something along the lines of an E160 is your best
> bet.
>
> Have a look here: https://wiki.ubuntu.com/NetworkManager/Hardware/3G

A work colleague of mine was given a ZTE dongle for his birthday and it
was indeed a royal pain to get working for him. It doesn't mount as a
USB storage device (which it is) nor was as a modem (which it also is).

After much faffing about on the intarwebz I found two deb packages to
install which gets the thing (sem-)working.

The ironic thing is: once it (finally!) mounted as a USB device, the
blasted thing has Linux drivers on it! Grrrrr....

Oh, and the 3 coverage (here in Glasgow anyway) is utter rubbish.

--
Ronnie Tucker
ronnie at ronnietucker.co.uk
http://RonnieTucker.co.uk