[ubuntu-uk] USB Wireless G3 Dongle

Jonathon Fernyhough j.fernyhough at gmail.com
Wed Sep 2 17:27:18 BST 2009

2009/9/2 Alan Lord (News) <alanslists at gmail.com>:
> On 02/09/09 12:30, huet bartels wrote:
>> Dear all,
>>
>> Has anyone got experience in using a mobile G3 Dongle with Ubuntu.
>> Vodafone or 3 Network some other provider.
>>
>> If so could you recommend the best one to purchase.
>>
>> Thank you in advance
>>
>> Huet Bartels
>>

> I use an Option ICON 225 dongle on the Orange network.
>
> Works fine in Jaunty and (mostly) Karmic.
>
> We did a lot of work on 3G last year for CarPhone Warehouse and Elonex.
> Most common dongles work with little or no trouble on Linux with recent
> kernels.
>
> Hauwei were a bit of a PITA as they would release a new model but keep
> the same USB id. Doh.
>
> Alan

DO NOT go for a ZTE modem (e.g. the ZTE 627 that 3 do). They don't
work out-of-the box with Ubuntu and are a royal pain (though
apparently the included software works, though that's a third-party
app and driver which don't work on 64-bit). The situation will improve
but at the moment something along the lines of an E160 is your best
bet.

Have a look here: https://wiki.ubuntu.com/NetworkManager/Hardware/3G