[ubuntu-uk] Setting Up an Ubuntu network?

Rob Beard rob at esdelle.co.uk
Fri Oct 30 10:30:49 GMT 2009

Liam Wilson wrote:
> Cheers rob,
>
> But what I was really looking for was a way to set up a network
> between my laptop and my netbook without having to use samba, and cut
> the XP machine out.
> Because I know that Linux doesn't need to use samba to create a
> network between two comps using Ubuntu, I just don't know how to set
> that up, if you get me?
>
> Like, now I have samba installed, I can see each ubuntu powered
> laptops Windows shares, but I need to transfer large amounts of data
> from one to the other (20GiB at once) and I've found that using samba,
> this doesn't really work well, so I was looking for a way to do this
> over a Linux network, not a windows one.
>
> Liam.
In that case you could look at either mounting a folder one the 'server'
from the 'client' by either using SSHFS (basically allows you to mount a
folder  on the remote machine over SSH which just requires
openssh-server to be installed on the 'server' machine) or you could
also look at NFS.

I've used NFS before but don't have much experience (I got it working a
couple of years ago but haven't really looked at it lately).  Possibly
someone else might be able to guide you in the right direction.

Ta,

Rob