[ubuntu-uk] bootable USB drive

David Jones djones.dancol at googlemail.com
Wed Oct 28 14:45:51 GMT 2009

javadayaz wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I am going to resurrect an old pc. Its already running ubuntu but i
> would like to install xubuntu on it as its very old...PIII i think. So i
> am thinking of installing the lighter xubuntu on it!
>
> I have run out of discs but i do have a usb thumb drive lying around. Is
> there a utility that will help me make this into a bootable usb drive? I
> have seen alot of these apps but most of them are for windows. I am no
> longer a windows user apart from work!!!
>
> So this app needs to work in ubuntu...something with a nice easy GUI
> would also help!
> Any ideas?
>
> --
> Regards
>
> Javad

Have a look at https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Installation/FromUSBStick

That has instructions on how to set up a USB stick so that you can boot
from it.

Although before you do it, I'd suggest checking the machines bios to
make sure that it can boot from a usb drive, the PIII's I use don't have
USB boot capeabilities.

Dave