[ubuntu-uk] Karmic networking broken

Matt Daubney matt at daubers.co.uk
Tue Oct 27 09:29:53 GMT 2009

On Mon, 26 Oct 2009 22:13:52 +0000, Chris Rowson
<christopherrowson at gmail.com> wrote:
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> I'm trying out karmic, and the networking seems to be broken on both my
>>> Lenovo N500 laptop and VMWare Fusion virtual machine atop of OS X Snow
>>> Leopard.
>>>
>>> It claims to be connected, and I can log into my router, but cannot get
>>> anything through firefox, thunderbird, synaptic etc. The hardware test
>>> claims to be able to touch the net.
>>>
>>> Can anyone help with diagnosing these problems?
>>>
>>> TIA
>>>
>>> John
>
> I also had similar problems. Disabled IPv6 in Firefox. It's very bad that
> this bug is present so close to release. I hope that this is sorted
before
> Thursday.
>
> Personally I have found Karmic to be pretty much unusable on both
machines
> tested it on. :-(
>
> Chris

I've been running Karmic since about Alpha 5 and had very few problems. The
RC (on the 3 machines I'm running anyway) seems to be quite stable. The
performance improvements are quite startling, especially the boot time on
my laptop.

If you have found some problems, make sure you report bugs! The next
release is an LTS so should be by far more stable on release.

-Matt Daubney