[ubuntu-uk] Backdoor?

alan c aeclist at candt.waitrose.com
Sun Oct 25 17:15:43 GMT 2009

Alan Pope wrote:
> 2009/10/22 David King <linuxman at avoura.com>:
>> That's a good way to describe it -- Software with Secrets. Including a
>> backdoor so that US govt agencies can spy on you,
>
> [[citation needed]]
>
>> as well as the WGA
>> tool to report back any activity on your PC to Microsoft.
>>

> [[citation needed]]
>
> I'd be interested in seeing proof of those two statements..
>
> Cheers,
> Al.

Stallman asserts that XP uses a technique for updates which allows
something to be installed on your computer which is specific to your
particular computer, thus allowing for, in principle, the possibility
that software such as back door could be targeted to a machine, not
through the initial OS, but via later updates.

In video this is discussed about halfway through this 6th part of (a
very interesting) video sequence:
Richard Stallman On FOSS GNU And Freedom 6 of 14
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PRQiJCc64-0&feature=PlayList&p=C2233C191A464B26&index=5

--
alan cocks
Ubuntu user