[ubuntu-uk] Flash 10 upgrade problems on Karmic

Rob Beard rob at esdelle.co.uk
Fri Oct 23 16:18:26 BST 2009

Hi folks,

Not sure if anyone else has seen this.  I just installed Google Chrome
and found that there were about 400 odd updates which I needed to
install.  As far as I can tell Chrome installed fine.

So I went ahead and did the upgrade, however it failed on the
adobe-flashplugin package.

The output from apt-get is here: http://ubuntu.pastebin.com/m45e4ec2b

Reading through it, it appears there is a problem with no alternatives
for iceape-flashplugin (which doing a search for I can't find such a
package).

This is what it comes up with:

update-alternatives: error: no alternatives for iceape-flashplugin.
update-alternatives: error: no alternatives for iceape-flashplugin.
dpkg: warning: old pre-removal script returned error exit status 2

I've tried removing adobe-flashplugin, I've tried forcing a removal,
I've tried reinstalling it and I've also tried clearing the apt cache
and re-downloading it but it comes up with the same thing every time.

I was able to remove Google Chrome but I'm still getting this problem.
Also, not sure if it's related but now Firefox will only give me the
option to search using Ask.com rather than Google.

So I'm stumped.  Other than blatting Ubuntu and reinstalling from
scratch (which I really don't fancy doing, not at least until Karmic is
fully released next week) I'm not sure what do to.

Anyone got any ideas?

Ta,

Rob