[ubuntu-uk] Ubuntu on the BBC!!!

Rowan Berkeley rowan.berkeley at googlemail.com
Fri Oct 23 05:57:47 BST 2009

On Thu, 2009-10-22 at 22:44 +0100, Christopher Swift
<christopher.swift at linux.com>:
> Alan, since we've gone onto the topic of both spelling and grammar,
> you will find that according to the Oxford English Dictionary, the
> past participle of the verb to spell is indeed "spelt".  We are not
> living in America on this thread.  View here as an example of the
> usage of the verb to spell in the past particple.
> http://www.askoxford.com/asktheexperts/faq/aboutwords/palindromes?view=uk
> I do agree however with the points regarding apostrophes.
> Regards,
> Chris.

Actually, the possessive pronoun WAS spelled with an apostrophe (which
is quite logical, since others are) until the contraction for 'it is'
became unavoidably common. Eighteenth-century printers wrote it with
one; I know this because I recently read the facsimile edition of Bishop
George Berkeley's "Alciphron" (1735) on Google Books, and there it was.