[ubuntu-uk] Ubuntu on the BBC!!!

Thomas Ibbotson thomas.ibbotson at gmail.com
Thu Oct 22 08:54:52 BST 2009

Alan Bell wrote:
> Paul Sutton wrote:
>>
>> Linux got a mention on the lunch time news,  well it showed tux, and the
>> google and apple logos, as alternatives,  but didn't say much about em
>>
> well it is Microsoft's big day (well it is tomorrow, they seem to have
> jumped the gun slightly) so it is natural they are talking about it. We
> too are celebrating the launch of Windows 7 with a special upgrade
> promotion. http://www.theopenlearningcentre.com/windows-7-upgrade-promotion
> Next week with the launch of Karmic Koala is the time to talk about
> Linux, hopefully the BBC will join in the conversation.

Quoting from the website:
-Spend lots of money for Windows 7 for every computer in your organisation,
-First you will need to take very careful backups of everything (not
just files but emails, favourites, settings etc),
-Format your machine's hard disk and install Windows 7 as a fresh
installation,
-Then you'll have to find those drivers for your hardware (if they
exist) and install them,
-Re-install all your application software (if it still works on Windows
7 and you have the CDs and license keys etc),
-Activate and register your computer on your network,
-Copy back all that carefully backed up data and make sure it goes into
the right places.

It seems to me that you are suggesting that these steps would not be
necessary with Ubuntu, but if you were to migrate to Ubuntu from Windows
XP you would still have to perform steps 2,3,5,6?? and 7. With the added
problems of trying to import your data to new, different programs and
learning an unfamiliar desktop environment.

I'm all for Ubuntu and FOSS, but this just struck me as a bit dishonest.
  I'll just go and get my ceramic shield....

Tom