[ubuntu-uk] linux & viruses

Matt Wheeler m at funkyhat.org
Thu Oct 22 02:48:42 BST 2009

2009/10/21 Peter Adam Kelly <peter at thatwilldo.com>:
> Thanks loads for the info,
>
> I am brushing up on my knowledge of network security, I have some Ubuntu
> dedicated and VPS servers and of course I want them as strong as can be, any
> more links or info would be appreciated.
>
> Cheers

Something which I've suggested on another thread in here, so you may
have already read, is installing fail2ban on any servers with
public-facing ports. By default it is set up to monitor ssh auth logs,
and it can be configured to monitor any type of logs you want, with
several pre-built watchers provided that just need enabling. fail2ban
combined with strong passwords is significantly better than just
strong passwords.

Another thing I would suggest is if at all possible do not run an FTP
service (unless it is just anonymous FTP). FTP is a clear text
protocol, which means when you send your password it is sent in plain
text. Anyone that is between you and your server could theoretically
intercept your password, and then use it to connect to your server
themselves. use SFTP instead (SFTP is file transfer via SSH, it's not
as related to FTP as it sounds).

Other than that, just keeping your systems up to date with the latest
versions of packages should keep you secure against most attacks that
might come your way :-).

--
Matt Wheeler
m at funkyHat.org