[ubuntu-uk] Networking.....

Daniel Drummond dmdrummondx at gmail.com
Sun Oct 18 11:27:31 BST 2009

On Sun, 2009-10-18 at 10:58 +0100, John Matthews wrote:
> mac wrote:
> > John Matthews wrote:
> >
> >> Hi, I wonder can somebody help with this please? How do you find out if
> >> Samba isnt running?
> >>

> > Does this help:
> >
> > http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=733619
> >
> > mac
> >

> Hi, that didnt work, I didnt understand most of it. I still cant get my
> network to work.
>
> John

Hi John,

I don't normally connect to shared drives through the Network Icon, but
I use Places->Connect To Server

Then choose Windows Share in the drop down box, fill in the ip address,
share name, Domain Name (Workgroup), and I usually just create a
bookmark, so next time I can just click one icon, and it mounts it
straight away.  Under username you may have to put the name of a user
account on the machine you are trying to connect to (and a corresponding
password if asked).

Running samba will not help unless you have shares on your Ubuntu system
that you want to make available to the other computers.  Then it
requires Samba configuration.  To access files on other computers
usually doesn't need any configuration or samba daemons on a standard
Ubuntu install.

Hope that helps

Dan