[ubuntu-uk] [OT] MP3 players

Seif Attar iam at seifattar.net
Tue Oct 13 00:53:07 BST 2009

On Sun, 2009-10-11 at 22:22 +0100, Martin Meredith wrote:
> On Sun, Oct 11, 2009 at 10:11:56PM +0100, Michael G Fletcher wrote:
> > Hi Guys,
> >
> > This is more of a philosophical question... I'm looking for a new mp3
> > player, about 4 - 10GB, but not over the top when it comes to
> > features, I have a smart phone (HTC-Magic running Andriod)  .
> >
> > If I were to buy an Apple iPod Nano, would I be going against all my
> > OSS beliefs and values?
>
> Ubuntu, as any other Linux Distro, values Freedom.
>
> Part of Freedom is the freedom to choose something that's restrictive if you
> want to.  So in my opinion, it's not :D

I think a person should be free to use what he wants, even if it is some
proprietary driver or commercial closed source software. I personally
would not give Apple a penny, yet when the jack on my phone broke, I
needed to to buy an mp3 player, all I needed was something I can put as
much music as I can on, for the cheapest price, and it should play flac
for at least 4 hours in 1 charge. after some research, I found the
solution was to get me a used ipod and install rockbox on it (very easy
process to install rockbox,a few clicks really). Found an ipod video 5th
gen with 80gig of storage for 50 quid on ebay, and it works great. I am
not bothered about it not being detected as an mp3 player in ubuntu,
connecting it as a storage drive does what I need.

This way, my money didn't go to apple, and my conscious is clear.
( ignoring the fact that probably the guy had sold this ipod to go buy
the latest version of the ipod, paid for with my money )

Goodluck
seif