[ubuntu-uk] [OT] MP3 players

Jonathon Fernyhough j.fernyhough at gmail.com
Sun Oct 11 23:20:09 BST 2009

2009/10/11 Jon Spriggs <jon at spriggs.org.uk>:
> Given that you already  have a device which will play MP3s (your
> android device), what does a new MP3 player bring you? Better battery
> life? Different display? Not being interrupted in the middle of that
> killer guitar solo by a stinkin' phone call?
>
> Ultimately, I'd prefer not to buy an iPod, but that shouldn't stop
> you. People like RMS would advocate *strongly* against it, but
> ultimately it's down to a simple Pro-vs-Con equation. Does the pain of
> the non-freedom aspects of it outweigh it's usefulness to you? If so,
> look elsewhere. If not, go for it and enjoy it! :)
> --
> Jon "The Nice Guy" Spriggs LPIC-1 Certified
>
> 2009/10/11 Michael G Fletcher <michael at ilovemylinux.com>:
>> Hi Guys,
>>
>> This is more of a philosophical question... I'm looking for a new mp3
>> player, about 4 - 10GB, but not over the top when it comes to
>> features, I have a smart phone (HTC-Magic running Andriod)  .
>>
>> If I were to buy an Apple iPod Nano, would I be going against all my
>> OSS beliefs and values?
>>
>> Cheers
>> --Michael

>> Michael Fletcher

I have to admit I still use my old 1GB USB stick MP3 player (the cheap
type off eBay from a few years back). While sound quality isn't the
best, and navigation less than intuitive, it shows up as a USB pen,
accepts plain MP3 files and has one killer feature: it uses standard
AAA batteries. I get 8 hours or so from a single battery and it's very
easy to switch it out.

Any other time I listen to music I'm either on my laptop or in my car;
both of which play MP3s perfectly fine.