[ubuntu-uk] Right way to completely remove Evolution?

Rob Beard rob at esdelle.co.uk
Thu Oct 8 15:50:39 BST 2009

Gordon wrote:
> I hate it! Apart from the fact that it won't synch properly with Google
> calendar, even though it's supposed to....
> What's the correct procedure for completely removing Evolution from
> Remix 9.04?

I vaguely remember reading something that Evolution is part of the
ubuntu-desktop meta package and if you remove it then it'll either
remove a whole load of other things or make it hard to do an upgrade,
although I could be wrong, I've just run

sudo apt-get remove evolution

and it's come up with this...

The following packages will be REMOVED

evolution evolution-couchdb evolution-exchange evolution-indicator
evolution-plugins

Personally I don't use Evolution, I tend to use Thunderbird instead,
although I don't remove it normally, according to apt-get, removing it
will only free up a paltry 12.5MB.  Hardly seems worth my while.

Rob