[ubuntu-uk] Problem Playing some Video files

Liam Wilson liamwilson93 at gmail.com
Tue Oct 6 16:55:18 BST 2009

Jonathon Fernyhough wrote:
> 2009/10/6 Liam Wilson <liamwilson93 at gmail.com>:
>
>> Hey all,
>>
>> After uninstalling Openshot, it seems that I cannot play some Video
>> files (Notably .avi files that use a xvid video codec). No matter what
>> Player I use, VLC, Mplayer, Totem, etc; The sound plays, but no video.
>>
>> And after searching for a codec with Totem, it seems to be that there
>> isn't an xvid codec, and yet, before uninstalling Openshot, the videos
>> played just fine!
>>

>> Now, I've re-installed Openshot, in the hope that my video files would
>> play, and I've had some luck in that they play in Openshot, but still no
>> luck in anything else - and I don't really plan on having to import a
>> video into openshot every time I want to play a movie.
>>
>> I've even tried un and re-installing Gstreamer, intalling the
>> restricted-extras package, all to no avail' ;_;
>>
>> Does anyone have any ideas on how to diagnose or solve this problem at all?
>>
>> If anyone does, I would GREATLY appreciate it!
>>
>> Thanks; Liam.
>>
>> --
>> ubuntu-uk at lists.ubuntu.com
>>

> I'm running Karmic, so YMMV.
>
> This sounds like the problem I had when I added a PPA which updated
> libavutil49 (among others). It replaced /usr/lib/libavutil.so.49 with
> /usr/lib/libavutil.so.50 meaning Gstreamer couldn't find the .49
> version and failed (a symlink didn't fix it). The version which broke
> mine was svn20090924, the version I have now is svn20090706.
>
> If you run Totem in a terminal it should tell you what's wrong (and if
> it can't find a file).

Well Running Totem gets me this:

liam at ubuntu-laptop:~$ totem
/var/lib/python-support/python2.6/gdata/tlslite/utils/cryptomath.py:9:
DeprecationWarning: the sha module is deprecated; use the hashlib module
instead
  import sha
** Message: don't know how to handle video/x-xvid,
framerate=(fraction)25/1, width=(int)640, height=(int)480
** Message: Missing plugin: gstreamer|0.10|totem|XVID MPEG-4
decoder|decoder-video/x-xvid (XVID MPEG-4 decoder)
** Message: No installation candidate for missing plugins found.

and running VLC gets me this:

liam at ubuntu-laptop:~$ totem
/var/lib/python-support/python2.6/gdata/tlslite/utils/cryptomath.py:9:
DeprecationWarning: the sha module is deprecated; use the hashlib module
instead
  import sha
** Message: don't know how to handle video/x-xvid,
framerate=(fraction)25/1, width=(int)640, height=(int)480
** Message: Missing plugin: gstreamer|0.10|totem|XVID MPEG-4
decoder|decoder-video/x-xvid (XVID MPEG-4 decoder)
** Message: No installation candidate for missing plugins found.

Sounds like it isn't installed, but I don't know?

Liam.