[ubuntu-uk] Problem Playing some Video files

Liam Wilson liamwilson93 at gmail.com
Tue Oct 6 14:54:36 BST 2009

Hey all,

After uninstalling Openshot, it seems that I cannot play some Video
files (Notably .avi files that use a xvid video codec). No matter what
Player I use, VLC, Mplayer, Totem, etc; The sound plays, but no video.

And after searching for a codec with Totem, it seems to be that there
isn't an xvid codec, and yet, before uninstalling Openshot, the videos
played just fine!

Now, I've re-installed Openshot, in the hope that my video files would
play, and I've had some luck in that they play in Openshot, but still no
luck in anything else - and I don't really plan on having to import a
video into openshot every time I want to play a movie.

I've even tried un and re-installing Gstreamer, intalling the
restricted-extras package, all to no avail' ;_;

Does anyone have any ideas on how to diagnose or solve this problem at all?

If anyone does, I would GREATLY appreciate it!

Thanks; Liam.