[ubuntu-uk] Ubuntu on PS3?

Rob Beard rob at esdelle.co.uk
Sun Nov 29 18:07:56 GMT 2009

On 29/11/2009 17:54, Kris Douglas wrote:
> 2009/11/29 Rob Beard<rob at esdelle.co.uk>:
>
>> Tony Travis wrote:

>>> Hello, Kris.
>>>
>>> I don't think that's quite right, at least for YDL:
>>>
>>> from: http://www.ydl.net/support/hardware/sony.shtml

>>> Not that I'm suggesting using YDL as an alternative to Ubuntu ;-)
>>>
>>> [I've got Hardy on my iMac]
>>>

>> I'm still tempted to go down the PS3 route, although I may just put
>> together an old PC with a newer NVidia graphics card for media playback
>> (other than Bluray).
>>
>> Rob
>>
> I didn't say the graphics didn't work, but try playing HD on an
> un-accelerated graphics card.

Yep, I know what you mean, playing HD stuff on Ubuntu 9.04 with Intel
graphics :-)

What I want to do eventually is build a PC to run MythBuntu, I've got an
older Dell GX280 kicking around which I'm not doing anything with which
would probably make a nice PC for playing HD stuff on with an NVidia
graphics card in there using VAPDU.  It currently does do HD just with a
few dropped frames.  I'm thinking I could use that for general PVR use
and then the PS3 for games and Bluray movies and a bit of tinkering
around with Linux :-)

Rob