[ubuntu-uk] Ubuntu on PS3?

Tony Travis a.travis at abdn.ac.uk
Sun Nov 29 17:41:27 GMT 2009

Kris Douglas wrote:
> [...]
> The PS3 is perfectly powerful enouugh for playing HD videos, but they
> DELIBERATELY crippled linux in order for only PlayStation games to
> work. As far as I know, you have full access to the CPU, but graphics
> and BR are a no-go. Format a hard drive with Fat 32, i think a
> 1280x720 BR film loads in about 4 gig, which is the max file size for
> F32, then just check the format works, and play it through the PS3's
> own OS.

Hello, Kris.

I don't think that's quite right, at least for YDL:

from: http://www.ydl.net/support/hardware/sony.shtml

> Sony PS3 40GB, 60GB, 80GB
>
>    1. Notes: The Nvidia graphics card is not supported beyond framebuffer mode. This does not reduce the quality of the image, but does not provide accelerated (3D) video nor OpenGL support.

Not that I'm suggesting using YDL as an alternative to Ubuntu ;-)

[I've got Hardy on my iMac]

Bye,

   Tony.
--
Dr. A.J.Travis, University of Aberdeen, Rowett Institute of Nutrition
and Health, Greenburn Road, Bucksburn, Aberdeen AB21 9SB, Scotland, UK