[ubuntu-uk] Ubuntu on PS3?

Gordon Allott gord.allott at canonical.com
Fri Nov 27 14:23:35 GMT 2009

On Fri, 2009-11-27 at 11:22 +0000, Rob Beard wrote:
> Hi folks,
>
> I'm mulling over getting a PS3 for Christmas for the family, mainly for
> Bluray playback, but also for the odd game or two.  Now I realise the
> new PS3 Slimline doesn't support the 'Other OS' option, although I have
> the option of getting one of the original PS3 consoles (a 40GB I think).
>
> The thing that attracts me to getting one of the original PS3 consoles
> is the fact that I can run Ubuntu on it.  However I'm wondering what is
> like on there?
>
> What I'd like to do is play HD video files and possibly a few emulators,
> but I have read that when the PS3 is in 'Other OS' mode it limits the
> graphics hardware and memory, so I'm wondering if I'd possibly be better
> of getting a standalone Bluray player (which are now pretty cheap) and
> also something like an Atom/ION based PC for media playback?
>
> Is anyone on here running Ubuntu on the PS3?
>
> Ta,
>
> Rob

Some notes:

The PS3 already plays HD video files, you can access them via the
blu-ray drive, the internal (replaceable) hard-drive or via a media
server network connection (what i use, stream media files over wifi from
my home server). the PSN also has some old games available for download
that are played via an emulator.

Ubuntu on a ps3 is locked out basically from the blu-ray drive (because
you have to be able to decrypt the blu-ray disks) and the cell SPU's
(which means your stuck on a relatively slow ppc)

essentially the jist of it is that putting linux on a ps3 is fun to play
with but its not worth it for anything like a media centre which the ps3
does much better (my ps3 is my main media centre).

oh and be careful with blu-ray players, they may look cheep but chances
are they won't work with some newer blu-rays if the disk key's get
changed and it doesn't update, generally the ps3 is recommended as the
best blu-ray player out there from my more film buff friends.

--
Gordon Allott <gord.allott at canonical.com>