[ubuntu-uk] LDAP authentication

Rob Beard rob at esdelle.co.uk
Thu Nov 26 21:31:23 GMT 2009

Hi folks,

I've just installed a new Ubuntu 8.04 server which is running Samba and
LDAP.  The server is configured and working okay now and I'm in the
process of configuring an Ubuntu 9.10 desktop to authenticate users
against LDAP.

I've been using the guide here:

http://www.beginlinux.com/server_training/server-managment-topics/1017-ldap-client-on-ubuntu-804

Now I've followed it to the point after editing the /etc/nsswitch.conf
file and tried running the command:

getent passwd

The command runs okay but doesn't display any of the users on the LDAP
server, the same happens when I run getent group.

I'm just wondering if this guide looks okay, or if there is any other
guides for configuring Ubuntu to authenticate it's logins against an
LDAP server?

Ta,

Rob