[ubuntu-uk] 9.10 with ATI Radeon

Rob Beard rob at esdelle.co.uk
Tue Nov 24 14:20:23 GMT 2009

Dianne Reuby wrote:
>> Rob Beard wrote:
>>
>> However it may be possible to fit a
>> graphics card.  I don't suppose you know the make and model number of
>> your motherboard do you, or if it's a branded PC (say a Dell, HP etc),
>> what the make and model number is?
>>
>> It is possible that your motherboard may have an AGP slot for an
>> external graphics card, or a PCI Express slot (or two).  As a minimum it
>> should have a PCI slot (assuming it's a desktop PC and not a laptop).
>>

> It's a Packard Bell m/board RC410-M, specs from the site:
>
> <snip>
> Expansion Slots
>       * 1x PCI Express 16X.
>       * 3x PCI
Ahh yeah you have a 16x PCI Express slot so you should be able to add
another card.  As suggested elsewhere, the NVidia cards are pretty good
and reasonably priced.

As much as I like the fact ATI have released information for their
graphics cards so an open source driver can be written, I was a bit
miffed to find they have stopped supporting some older cards with their
latest proprietary driver.  I'll say one thing for NVidia, although they
don't release the information to create a 3D open source driver, they do
tend to support their previous graphics cards in newer drivers.

So if you decide to try a different graphics card, I would maybe suggest
something like this from eBuyer.com at £22.

http://www.ebuyer.com/product/173699

Rob