[ubuntu-uk] accessing Windows 7 shares

Rob Beard rob at esdelle.co.uk
Thu Nov 19 12:22:54 GMT 2009

Gordon wrote:
> This may be anecdotal or not!
> I cannot access any Windows Home Premium shares from my 9.10 Netbook.
> However, I am in correspondence with someone who CAN access shares
> (including Admin shares) on Windows 7 PROFESSIONAL from 9.10
> Can anyone else who might have access to either Windows 7 Home Premium
> or Professional confirm or refute this?

I can't access the admin shares (C$, D$ etc) on the wife's PC running
Windows 7 from my laptop running Ubuntu 9.10 (haven't tried it from XP
yet so I don't know if it's something to do with changes to Windows 7),
but I can access shares I have created myself.  So for instance if I
share my User folder on Windows, I can access it from Ubuntu 9.10.

What I have done is set the share permissions so that my user on the PC
can connect to the share with full control.

Rob