[ubuntu-uk] Micro-ATX server advice

Andy Smith andy at strugglers.net
Wed Nov 18 19:32:56 GMT 2009

Hi Tim,

On Tue, Nov 17, 2009 at 05:51:29PM +0000, Tim Dobson wrote:
> So we are looking at putting together a custom server in a micro-ATX
> sized case with the provisio that it needs to be able to accomodate a
> full height PCI/PCI-E card.
>
> Who does one go to for Micro-ATX server-grade motherboards?

I'd be interested in knowing too, as every micro-atx / mini-itx
board I've seen so far has been unsuitable because they have no out
of band management features (e.g. serial port with BIOS redirection,
or IPMI, or full LOM).

Never seen ECC RAM either but then that's unusual on any embedded
sort of board and is not a dealbreaker.

This won't help you because of your full height PCI-E requirement,
but personally for low power low performance server requirements
I've been really happy with the Soekris (http://www.soekris.com/)
range of equipment, but they are not cheap.

Your full height PCI-E requirement is odd as of course that rules
out most rackmount cases too.  Perhaps you would be best off buying
a normal server motherboard and putting it in a conventional case
with some low power components?

Cheers,
Andy