[ubuntu-uk] Liferea: transfer settings from 1.4 to 1.6?

mac ammonius.grammaticus at gmx.co.uk
Tue Nov 17 20:40:16 GMT 2009

mac wrote:
> Thanks for the suggestions.  I have tried this procedure, but
> liferea_1.6 wouldn't start until I deleted the .liferea_1.4 folder I'd
> copied into /home.  As you imply, it's hard to be sure that all the bits
> of 1.6 have been removed (and you can't trust <sudo aptitude remove
> --purge liferea> to get everything).  The difference between your
> situation and mine, of course, is that I've got a clean install to deal
> with.
>
> I'll have another go.  But if anyone else has advice, I'd be very grateful.

Just to update this thread and close it, I'm happy to report success.  I
removed liferea_1.6 with <sudo aptitude remove --purge liferea>, and
deleted .liferea_1.6 in /home and the liferea folder in ~/.gconf/apps.

I then copied .liferea_1.4 from a backup into /home, and reinstalled
liferea_1.6 from the repos.  When I started liferea, it hung, with 100%
cpu usage. (?why.)  I restarted the laptop, restarted liferea, and after
a disconcertingly long pause, but with the cpu usage not getting above
23%, the application eventually started, and had automatically imported
the 1.4 settings into the new 1.6 folder.  Phew!

Thanks to Matt.

Thread closed.

mac