[ubuntu-uk] Desktop or Server?

Alan Bell alan.bell at theopenlearningcentre.com
Fri Nov 13 17:33:36 GMT 2009

I am with the desktop crowd (small as it is)
GDM doesn't consume many resources, if left logged out on the GDM screen
it won't chew memory, processor or open any external ports (neither does
X/Gnome itself by default). When the full desktop is running it will use
extra resources but that is fine. If I am giving a customer their first
Ubuntu server for them to mostly leave well alone I would put the
desktop on it, with Compiz and all the eye candy turned on! I want them
to see that on the rare occasion that they actually log on they have a
better desktop operating system than the Windows XP machine on their desk.

Alan.