[ubuntu-uk] Desktop or Server?

Rob Beard rob at esdelle.co.uk
Fri Nov 13 12:24:27 GMT 2009

Tony Travis wrote:
> Rob Beard wrote:
>
>> [...]
>> The only time I would install a complete desktop on a server is if it is
>> to run as an LTSP server.  Then it can need everything a desktop
>> requires.  When I last installed an LTSP server I was also pleased to
>> see that FreeNX works with it as well. :-)
>>

> Hello, Rob.
>
> I don't use LTSP, because most of our users run Windows on their PC's
> and they don't want to reboot their PC's to run as Linux Xterminals...
>
> FreeNX gives me the option of providing Linux GUI login sessions via a
> stand-alone NX client downloaded by the Nomachine Java 'helper' applet
> on the server. In this way, people can use Linux with minimal impact on
> their existing Windows desktop environment and don't need administrator
> rights to run the stand-alone NX client unless hostile network admin
> restrict which Windows executables are allowed to use the network.

Ahh I didn't realise there was a Java client, that's handy.  I've used
FreeNX in the past myself to connect to remote machines (my desktop PC,
remote desktops) and found it to be really rather good, I just wish
there was a free version of FreeNX available for Windows (I gather there
is a commercial version, but not a free version).
> I've used this approach successfully for several years now in computer
> classrooms, and on individual user's Windows PC's. Some people do make
> the switch to run Linux on their own PC after using it like this via
> FreeNX, but they are only a small minority. Providing a FULL desktop
> environment for 'fat' clients like this is, of course, a compromise.
> However, it does enable me to provide a Linux desktop in an otherwise
> Windows-centric environment. I don't think I am alone in doing that.

Nope, I think it's a good idea.  In fact I'll probably be implementing
FreeNX on a client's server (well it will be a VM running Ubuntu 9.10
with LTSP).
> What irritates me is the implicit assumption that this is somehow the
> 'wrong' way to run a server: In my opinion, it is absurd to avoid using
> GUI tools to manage a server. Long ago, there might have been an issue
> about memory fooprint or disk space but these days it is not an issue.
> One of the arguments in favour of Windows on the server is that it's
> easier to manage because of the GUI tools. Of course 'real' Windows
> admins to everything from the command-line in Perl just like we do!

I'd say it depends on what you want to do.  Personally my servers just
sit there and I don't need a GUI as I do everything via SSH, although I
can see the benefit of sometimes having a GUI on a server, just not on
every server (especially when some of the servers I deal with are
running older hardware and are already limited for resources).
> The 'right' way to run a server is to provide the services required.

I agree, the servers that I generally work with just need to provide
e-mail and samba so don't need a GUI, although I do support a couple of
LTSP servers, one of which is in a community centre, the server is quite
beefy (Quad Core Xeon, 4GB Ram) and probably overkill for 6 LTSP
clients, but the clients themselves are really old Dell P3 desktops
which were donated and wouldn't be much cop for running a full Ubuntu
desktop.

Rob