[ubuntu-uk] Desktop or Server?

Chris Ray chris.ray at bazaarsystems.co.uk
Fri Nov 13 11:01:48 GMT 2009

Thanks for all the comments guys. As I see it then; in answer to the
specific question, the majority opinion is to add the GUI to the server
install  rather than the other way around..

In answer to the more general question "why do I want to do that", my
experience is this:
I agree with apparently nearly everybody that any serious work has to be
via a shell, but GUIs do have their uses, like when watching resource
graphs in System Monitor. Repeating lines in a shell just don't carry
the same information content as a graph (a picture worth a thousand
words and all that). Just my personal preference.
So I think the issue is not so much "why do you need a GUI at all",  but
rather "how do I stop the GUI taking server resources when I don't need it?"
In openSuse there is a sysconfig setting that puts  a "--no-console"
argument behind gdm  in its rc script, so when the server starts up
there is no GUI sitting on Term 7 of the console, but an incoming VNC
session starts it all up for as long as you need it, than shuts it down
again.  So, a GUI for the 20 minutes a month I need it and no resource
hogging for the rest of the time.
Is there an equivalent to sysconfig in Ubuntu, or do I have to edit the
gdm rc script directly?  I'm reluctant to do that as I'd have to redo
the setting every time an update overwrites the script.

Chris Ray