[ubuntu-uk] What webcam?

Tony Pursell ajp at princeswalk.fsnet.co.uk
Wed Nov 11 22:46:59 GMT 2009

On 11 Nov 2009 at 16:54, keith wrote:

> Hello.
>
> I want to wipe XP from my hard drive, but the only thing which is
> preventing me is that I can't get my 6 year old Logitech Quickcam Chat
> webcam to work very well in Ubuntu (9.04 or 9.10), with aMSN. The camera
> works well in WindowsXP, using the Logitech driver, so it isn't a faulty
> camera.
>
> After many hours of unsuccessfully trying, I have come to the conclusion
> that the best thing to do would be to get a new, compatible, webcam.
>
> So, does anyone on the list use a webcam and aMSN and gets good results
> from it? Preferably, more or less 'out of the box', but I don't mind a
> bit of fiddling around!
>
> If so, what make and model of webcam do you use, please.
>
> For information, using Skype or one of the other protocols is not on. It
> must be MSN.
>
> I have looked in the hardware database, but would like to buy a
> personally recommended model, rather than just pick one from the general
> list which is given.
>
> Many thanks for any advice.
>
> Cheers
>
> Keith

Webcams are a bit of a minefield, in my experience.  I have 3
webcams and none of work with all programs in Ubuntu.  One thing
you need to check out, for instance, is SANE compatability.  All
webcams have a 4 character vendor/model ID which is key to looking
up a webcams compatabilities. Problem is, they are never given on
the boxes and also I have heard of cases where the same Logitech
model can be made with different IDs in different parts of the world,
or at different times.

Use the live CD to test out you exisiting webcam.

Good luck

Tony