[ubuntu-uk] Updating an Ubuntu machine to Ruby 1.8.7

doug livesey biot023 at gmail.com
Wed Nov 11 15:20:37 GMT 2009

Hi -- I've rather gracelessly let one of my Ubuntu machines stay at Ruby
1.8.6, and the official release has moved on to 1.9
For the apps that are currently on that box, I need it to be running 1.8.7,
now.
I found an instruction that details how to do it here:
http://samneang-ngeth.blogspot.com/2009/08/update-ruby-to-version-187-in-ubuntu.html
The thing is, the apps running on this machine are vital, and I can't afford
to have them down for long.
Does this look okay to the gurus here?
Is there another approach that someone would suggest (like a nice painless
one involving Synaptic)?
Cheers,
   Doug.