[ubuntu-uk] Tutorial on PC to PC support?

Rob Beard rob at esdelle.co.uk
Wed Nov 11 12:24:36 GMT 2009

Gordon wrote:
> Rob Beard wrote:

>>> I forgot to mention - the person using this remote computer just about
>>> has the ability to send and receive email, type simple letters and
>>> browse the internet and that's about it!
>>>

>> If they're running Windows,
>>

> I'm very seriously considering changing them over to (K)Ubuntu - because
> then there won't be any problems with AV and Antimalware apps not being
> updated - amongst other things. They are currently using XP on an old
> Dell and they only fire up the machine for short irregular intervals so
> the scheduled updates get missed!

Could be worth it possibly as long as they don't need any specific
Windows apps.

I recently converted two old machines (P3 laptops with 192 to 256MB Ram
and 6GB hard drives) to Debian for a friend's uncle.  The machines
weren't in a state (luckily, although I have seen a fair few Windows
machines in a state), but now they run MUCH quicker, still not super
fast but quick enough to do anything useful on them.

Rob